Application Deadlines and Fees
Admission to Yale School of Drama is only for full-time graduate study beginning in the fall term. There is no rolling admission. There is no summer session. Transfer or part-time students are not accepted. The School of Drama Admissions Committee carefully evaluates all applications, and admission decisions are determined on or before April 1.
Please refer to each department’s more detailed requirements.
Applications for admission must be received by the following dates:
- December 1, 2019: Directing, Playwriting
- January 2, 2020: Acting, Dramaturgy and Dramatic Criticism
- February 1, 2020: Design, Sound Design, Stage Management, Technical Design and Production, Theater Management, Technical Internship Certificate and Special Research Fellow
- March 15, 2020: Financial Aid applications for U.S. citizens and international applicants.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test
- Must be taken by December 31, 2019 by applicants to Dramaturgy and Dramatic Criticism
- School code: 3988
NOTE: The GRE is no longer required for the following departments: Stage Management, Technical Design and Production, and Theater Management. The GRE will not be considered if submitted as part of the Stage Management, Technical Design and Production, or Theater Management application.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Must be taken by December 31, 2019 by applicants to programs with December 2019 or January 2020 application deadlines
- Must be taken by January 15, 2020 by applicants to programs with February 2020 application deadline
- Required of an applicant whose first language is not English
- IELTS scores are NOT accepted
- School code: 3988
- $110 - All departments; Special Student status; Special Research Fellow
- $50 - Technical Internship Certificate
The nonrefundable application fee can be paid online by Master Card, Visa, American Express, or Discover.
To request a financial need based application fee waiver please download a Request for Application Fee Waiver form. All fee waiver applications must be completed, signed/notarized and original copy received by the Admissions Office ten (10) business days prior to your department deadline. We will do our best to review and respond to your fee waiver application within a week of receiving it.