Application Deadlines and Fees
Applications are currently not being accepted for any Yale School of Drama program. The next application cycle will open on September 1, 2021 for admission in the fall of 2022.
- June 16, 2020 -
Our Plans for 2020–21 and Beyond
Yale School of Drama and Yale Repertory Theatre will not produce seasons of plays in 2020–21, due to the ongoing incompatibility of theatrical production with best public health practices in response to COVID-19. Practical production work is a central tenet of the School’s conservatory training; the three-year M.F.A. program is being extended temporarily to a fourth year to best meet and overcome the current and inevitable future disruptions of the pandemic. Similarly, the one-year Technical Internship program will be extended by one semester. The School’s next student recruitment cycle will be for admission in the fall of 2022. Read more »
Admission to Yale School of Drama is only for full-time graduate study beginning in the fall term. There is no rolling admission. There is no summer session. Transfer or part-time students are not accepted. The School of Drama Admissions Committee carefully evaluates all applications, and admission decisions are determined on or before April 1.
Please refer to each department’s more detailed requirements.
The following dates from the previous application cycle are for reference, only.
Applications for admission must be received by the following dates:
- December 1, 2019: Directing, Playwriting
- January 2, 2020: Acting, Dramaturgy and Dramatic Criticism
- February 1, 2020: Design, Sound Design, Stage Management, Technical Design and Production, Theater Management, Technical Internship Certificate and Special Research Fellow
- March 15, 2020: Financial Aid applications for U.S. citizens and international applicants.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test
NOTE: The Yale School of Drama has eliminated the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) requirement for prospective applicants. The GRE test will not be considered.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Must be taken by December 31, 2019 by applicants to programs with December 2019 or January 2020 application deadlines
- Must be taken by January 15, 2020 by applicants to programs with February 2020 application deadline
- Required of an applicant whose first language is not English
- IELTS scores are NOT accepted
- School code: 3988
- $110 - All departments; Special Student status; Special Research Fellow
- $50 - Technical Internship Certificate
The nonrefundable application fee can be paid online by Master Card, Visa, American Express, or Discover.
To request a financial need based application fee waiver please download a Request for Application Fee Waiver form. All fee waiver applications must be completed, signed/notarized and original copy received by the Admissions Office ten (10) business days prior to your department deadline. We will do our best to review and respond to your fee waiver application within a week of receiving it.